Thursday, January 27, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes...

Yup. Rainbow cupcakes.

And a cake, too. 

If you didn't already know, I'm a baker. I went to culinary school and I work in a cupcake bakery as the head baker. This "recipe" isn't complicated nor does it require much skill. It's just fun and so pretty!  We don't make this at my bakery.

I actually made these a while ago... a long while. BUT they are so fantastic and fun that I wanted to share them again on here.  
(I've never posted them onto this blog, but I did on a blog I had a while ago that didn't work out.)

They may look difficult, but they are super easy. You'll probably make a mess, just some fyi. :]

 What you need:

2-3 boxes of white cake (see.. easy)
Neon food coloring
Sprinkles
Cake or cupcake pans/liners
Wooden dowels (for the stacked cake)
Buttercream 
(I won't post my buttercream recipe because I use it at work and I can't really share, but any recipe will do)

Mix the cake batter as directed on the box. Divide the batter according to how many colors you want to use. I used pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple so I had six bowls of white batter. Then color each bowl of batter with your color, one in each. 


Cupcakes: 
Spoon the different colored batter into your liners one at a time until about 1/2 full.  
(1 tablespoon of pink... one tablespoon of orange.. etc.)
Then BAKE according to the directions on the box.
Let cool completely before icing. 
Decorate! Have fun!
Cupcake guts!


Cake:
You will need to either have 6 cake pans all the same size, or bake in batches. I had 3 pans. 
Divide the batter into 6 bowls and color each bowl a different color. 
Then, pour one color into one pan. BAKE. 
After all the cakes are cooled, pick the cake layer that you want at the bottom. 
Put a layer of buttercream icing covering the top, then place the second layer cake on top. 
Do this until you get to the top layer. 

This is important... If you are doing a big stacked cake like I did, then you will need to reinforce the cake layers (so it doesn't topple over)
I like to use wooden dowels. 
After all of the layers are stacked and ready to be completely iced, cut the dowels to size  
(you don't want them sticking out of the cake. You want them to be flush with the top.) 
Then stick them into the middle of the cake. 
You want them to go all the way through the cake (bottom to top) but not sticking out.
Then cover the cake completely in buttercream.
Decorate to your hearts content!

Enjoy!!
(link your photos/blog if you make them!)



5 comments:

Kristin said...

I could TOTALLY go for one of those cupcakes and a big cup of coffee right now!!!

ga said...

Oh man, I totally want to make a rainbow cake for my baby shower. Or maybe I could pay you to make one for me? Hehe...It's in Southlake so it shouldn't be too too far :D

Amanda Smith said...

I've been drinking coffee ALL DAY! LOL That's what happens when you only get an hour of sleep.. haha!

And yes! That would be great... problem is... i don't think i'd have time :[ I'm sorry!

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

That cupcake looks majorily delicious. :) If only I could bake.

Ellen Mallernee Barnes said...

Oh man! I have to make this cake for my lil lady's first first birthday! Thanks for posting!