Monday, January 28, 2013

OUR WEEKEND.


I had expectations for this weekend. I wanted to have a great one... but the world thought otherwise. It had planned for me a weekend that tested me as a mom.

Jack was being overly dramatic, meaning he was acting just like a three year old. Everything was "NO!!!" and fake crying. Time-outs happened. Ipad time was taken away. Early bedtime happened. Yelling happened... a lot from my end and I am really hating it. Yelling doesn't fix things. It never has in this house. We try very hard not to yell and to explain the situation so we can avoid it next time.  Obviously, I am not perfect. This did not work this weekend. Explaining led to more yelling and crying. Jack is three. He is learning and testing his boundaries and seeing what he can get away with. I apparently wasn't prepared for this this weekend, but who really ever is?

Now, don't get me wrong. The whole weekend wasn't a downer or a waste. We made mole (a Mexican chocolate/chicken dish). We made tres leches cake. We escaped to the park for a while. It was rather cold and windy, so we didn't stay as long as we had all hoped. We fed the ducks. I got even more Jack hugs and "I love you's" even through all the mess in-between.

Looking at all those little dried up weeds (flowas, as Jack calls them) and seeing that my sweet little boy picked them and chose to give them to me throughout this whole hard weekend, makes my heart melt. I'm a pool of heart guts right now. He really is the sweetest little kid.

These weekends happen. They don't happen very often around here, but they happen. Now I know what I need to work on... and I'm working. Hard.

No comments: