Saturday, August 6, 2011

Arroz con Leche//Recipe

I'm from very South Texas, right next to the border of Mexico. I grew up around the Mexican culture. My husband, Jeremy is from Ft. Worth. He grew up eating corn bread with every meal while I ate tortillas. My go-to dessert is usually Arroz con Leche. It's really easy to make and really yummy. I have a sensitive stomach so I can only eat it every once in a while. (Lactose intolerance SUCKS).

Here's my recipe. 
4 cups of milk
1/2 cup short grain rice
1 cup of sugar (or less)
1/2 cup of butter
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 cloves

Place the milk, rice, & cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Immediately reduce heat to very low and simmer, stirring often and scraping bottom, for about 45 minutes.
Add the sugar and simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir often to keep from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Make sure you take the cinnamon stick and cloves out.  Adjust sugar to taste and serve hot or cold, sprinkling the top with some ground cinnamon.
ENJOY!

1 comment:

Christina said...

oh this looks so delicious. I bet it is good all warm and gooey when it is cooler outside! :)